Monday, February 03, 2014

MM: The Song Remembers When

I almost forgot about this week's post!  I'm working on a project and turned on my iTunes to keep me company as I work on the wreath.  Trisha Yearwood's The Song Remembers When was the first one to play and I remembered!  I also decided to use this song as a springboard for this week's post.  I kind of already addressed this a few weeks ago in this post but I figured I'd expand.  *wry chuckle*

First, let's look at the lyrics of the song (you can scroll down if you don't want to read it):

I was standing at the counter
I was waiting for the change
When I heard that old familiar music start
It was like a lighted match
Had been tossed into my soul
It was like a dam had broken in my heart

After taking every detour
Getting lost and losing track
So that even if I wanted
I could not find my way back
After driving out the memory
Of the way things might have been
After I'd forgotten all about us
The song remembers when

We were rolling through the Rockies
We were up above the clouds
When a station out of Jackson played that song
And it seemed to fit the moment
And the moment seemed to freeze
When we turned the music up and sang along

And there was a God in Heaven
And the world made perfect sense
We were young and were in love
And we were easy to convince
We were headed straight for Eden
It was just around the bend
And though I have forgotten all about it
The song remembers when

I guess something must have happened
And we must have said goodbye
And my heart must have been broken
Though I can't recall just why
The song remembers when

Well, for all the miles between us
And for all the time that's passed
You would think I haven't gotten very far
And I hope my hasty heart
Will forgive me just this once
If I stop to wonder how on Earth you are

But that's just a lot of water
Underneath a bridge I burned
And there's no use in backtracking
Around corners I have turned
Still I guess some things we bury
Are just bound to rise again
For even if the whole world has forgotten
The song remembers when
Yeah, and even if the whole world has forgotten
The song remembers when

I can't say how many of my favorite songs send me to a particular place in time when I hear them as she refers to in the lyrics.  What's funny is the second song that came up in my playlist was Bryan Adams' Heaven, which is another one though not as an extremely emotional memory.  It was the theme to the very first (out of two?) high school dance I went to, a girls' choice "Sweetheart Ball."  I wasn't planning on going because I was 15 and my "boyfriend" at the time seemed to not have any interest in dating outside of making me "his" at school and only school.  He actually shamed me into asking him to the dance.  It actually was pretty fun.  Every time I hear Heaven I am taken back to that dance. He actually was my nsdxh's best friend, though I'm afraid I ended up causing contention between them that damaged their relationship--as far as I know.

Other songs...  Any Air Supply song returns me to the Friday lunchtime dances in junior high.  I wanted SO MUCH to be asked to dance.  Never was.

Need You Tonight, Lovin' Every Minute of It, I Wanna Know What Love Is, and all those others return me to high school.

Make Me Lose Control sends me to the summer of 1988 in Germany, driving down the Autobahn with the sun shining and the sunroof open.

Right Here Waiting was a lullaby sung to my newborn son in 1989 when I was home alone at night while his dad was working.

From a Distance takes me to sitting at the table playing Jenga with my favorite person.

Wilson Philips' Impulsive causes me to reflect on one of the best "non-dates" I've ever had, driving home from Alexandria in the pouring rain while drawing hearts on the window and listening to that entire album.  Why oh why didn't he kiss me in that rain, I'll never know.  *sigh*

You Are So Beautiful...  Ugh.  I can still see his face when he said that.

Collin Raye and John Michael Montgomery songs from the mid-late 90s send me to when I was dating and newly married the second time.

I still feel guilty when it comes to I'll Think of a Reason Later and no, I still do NOT like her.

Those are only a few of the songs that trigger memories (many good, some bad) within me when I hear them.  I've always found this subject fascinating and have even written a paper and at least one blog entry about how music affects us...  I'm sure I'll visit it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment